Do you want to improve your runnig? Are you looking to monitor your performance while you run or train? Are you looking for the Best 2020 apps to run? Then you have come to the right place, because here you will discover the best running apps that exist today.
These free running apps will become our best sports friends, because they will help us to take a detailed and complete control of our training. We analyze today the best running apps of 2020 that you can install on your mobile phone for both iPhone and Android.
Best running apps of 2020for Android & iOS.
For all those who prefer to carry their mobile phone while they run, we have prepared a selection of the best running apps that you can install right now to control your workouts and races. You will find the most famous running app for beginners and also for the Pros.
1. Strava: Run, Ride, Swim
Strava is an application that has gained many followers in recent years. A great tool that has every thing to envy its fiercest competitors. Whether you run or go by bike, we recommend that you give a vote and try it for free for a few days before finally sticking to it.
We recommand you use this app ’cause:
- It has a very simple and intuitive interface, which has a great diversity of sections (history, records, sessions …). In addition, for greater user comfort, it is divided into two large sections: one for cycling and another for running.
- One of the features that make Strava the best of the rest of apps for runners are the segments. These segments inform you about how your statistics have been in different sections of the route, such as a slope or your favorite kilometer. If you wish, you can compare the data of the same segment with friends.
- Community with millions of users, where you can discuss and share your experiences.
- You can also upload the photos of your last session or upload the statistics on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- If you have an Android Wear 2.0 or a second generation Apple Watch you can register your workouts without having to take your mobile phone every time you go out to run.
- It has an excellent website for those who prefer to see their statistics from the computer.
Download Strava for Android
Download Strava for iOS (iPhone / iPad).
Runtastic is, without any doubt, one of the best apps for runners (Android & iOS) to use when going for a run, as reflected in its 4.5 rating stars with almost 1 million votes. Also, If you want an online community where you can exchange experiences, advice and opinions with all kinds of runners, this is your application.
It is one of the best because:
- It has a great variety of preparation plans. It will serve you as much to lose weight or get fit as to prepare the next marathon.
- Accurately measure data related to the race, such as altimetry, race time, speed or calories, among others.
- Its perfect integration with Google Earth and Google Maps. It also works very well with Android Wear and Apple Watch.
- Very complete statistics section: details of each session, graphs, metrics, daily progress, map history, detailed analysis of all the records, count of kilometers of your current shoes …
- Sharing location, you will receive support messages from other users to motivate you further while you run.
- Possibility of registering other activities: walking, cycling, skiing, hiking …
- Runtastic has one of the most active online communities, a site where you can comment on all your achievements and start interesting discussions about any subject related to sport.
Download Runtastic for Android
Download Runtastic for iOS (iPhone / iPad).
3. Nike + Run Club
It is one of the most complete running apps on the market and one of the most used, with almost 450 million hours of training recorded. An ideal option for lovers of the Nike that can enjoy a large number of services completely free.
It is one of the best running apps simply because:
- It has personalized training programs that adapt to your time availability and the objectives proposed according to your current state.
- Measurement of all the information you need to analyze your training: race pace, location, distance, height differences, heart rate, calories consumed, partial times …
- Motivation: messages of encouragement while you run, information of time and rhythm kilometer per kilometer, gain of trophies and medals according to the achievements that are achieved, possibility of challenging your friends by comparing your results through leaderboards, etc.
- You can share the results of your training or career in a personalized way within the app or in some of the most used social networks like Instagram or Facebook. Add photos made by you, the route taken or the statistics of the session (total time, pace and distance).
- Very high refresh rate.
Download Nike + Run Club for Android
Download Nike + Run Club for iOS (iPhone / iPad).
4. Google Fit
How could it be otherwise, Google also bet on healthy living through this great runnig app exclusively for Android. A tool that will allow you not only to calculate the calories burned while you run, but also to take into account the ones you spend during the warm-up or in the rest of the daily activities.
Google fit is on of the best running apps ’cause:
- It is totally free
- It has an interface that stands out for its simplicity and manageability. You can manage the training of any type of sport activity.
- It automatically generates the statistics of the most recent activities (kilometers, calories consumed, steps taken, race pace …). The big advantage is that he knows when we start running without touching anything.
- It calculates caloric expenditure according to the weight and height of each person.
Check the objective you want (number of steps, kilometers to be made, calories burned, number of minutes per day …) and the tool will send you a notification when you reach it.
- It also provides individualized training recommendations to achieve your goals and maintain your motivation.
- High compatibility with many devices, mainly Android Wear watches. Other cheaper models that will also work for you are the Xiaomi Mi Band 1 / 1S or the Sony Smart Band Talk.
- You can incorporate the data from your training sessions of any of the applications proposed so far as Runtastic, Strava or Nike +.
- Although it needs to work in the background all day to generate the data, the battery consumption is relatively low.
Download Google Fit for Android.
(Unfortunately unavialable for iOS)
Do you want to turn your SmartPhone into a personal trainer and have the comfort of always carrying it in your pocket? With RunKeeper you can do it both on your iPhone and on your Android. Its 30 million users are a good reason enough to download one of the best free running apps of 2020.
Be the next to join because:
- It gives you the opportunity to have a personal trainer, who will be in charge of suggesting all those sessions that best adapt to the proposed objectives. Although, if you want to go for free, you also have the option to choose between different types of sessions: by distance, by time, changes of rhythm, series …
- It has a very elaborate audio message system: training instructions, distance, partial times, race pace or heart rate, among others.
- Your statistics are very complete. You can see graphics with your evolution, details of your pace, the number of kilometers traveled, the total time taken or the calories burned. Each time you get a new achievement it will notify you.
- The navigation through the app is simple. You can go straight to the point and in a few seconds you will be ready to start training.
- Perfect synchronization of data with other applications in the field of healthy life. These include Fitbit, Whitings or Garmin.
- And it also has support for many other sports: road and mountain biking, skiing, snowboarding, swimming, rowing, hiking, etc.
Download RunKeeper for Android
Download RunKeeper for iOS (iPhone / iPad).
6. Endomondo Sports Tracker
This list would not make sense without Endomondo. As it is one of the apps with more experience in the measurement of sports activities. In the hands of the famous American firm Under Armor since 2015, Endomondo has become a MUST HAVE if running fascinates you and you are passionate about sports in general. Practice up to 40 different disciplines!
It one of the best running apps ’cause:
- It is simple to use: Turn on the app, hit the play and start running.
- Accurate measurement of the activity without the need to have the GPS activated. This will allow you to save battery in your Smartphone.
- It has a wide variety of features in its free version: detailed monitoring of your training sessions, measurement of a large number of parameters, exhaustive analysis of your performance, informative audio kilometers per kilometer, etc. He will even warn you during the race if you need to hydrate!
- Apart from the classic statistics (time, duration, average pace, etc.) you will find curious data such as how many laps you have made in the world or how many burgers you have burned. A fun function that can motivate you even more.
- It is compatible with many models of smart watches without the need to go running with the phone: Apple Watch 2, Android Wear 2.0, Samsung watches, Tizien, Sony Smartwatch 3 …
- It has a wide online community where you can interact with millions of users to talk about any topic related to the sport you practice. It also has various tools related to social networks.
Download Endomondo for Android
Download Endomondo for iOS (iPhone / iPad).
7. My Asics Run Training
Hand in hand with the prestigious Japanese firm Asics, it is ideal if you want to have a personalized and realistic training at your fingertips. It is one of the best running apps thanks to the study conducted through asics Institute of Sports Science analyzing the performance of the runners for more than 7 years, Asics brings you hand in hand a first level preparation for your next race.
It si one of best running apps in 2020 because:
- It is totally free. You will not have surprises when you enter. All benefits are available without having to pay a single cent.
- The training plans are designed for all types of runners, so they adapt to the objectives and needs of each one. They last between 12 and 33 weeks, each with 2-4 sessions.
- It has an exclusive algorithm to raise the anaerobic threshold, which will help you increase resistance and optimize your performance.
- Flexible calendar If one day you can not perform one of the scheduled sessions, you automatically readjusts the calendar to recover the training another day.
- Analyze various parameters in real time: route, total and partial time, distance, average rhythm …
- You have the option to control the kilometers made.
- It is compatible with most smart and sports watches: Apple Watch, Seiko Asics Watch AP02, Polar models, TomTom models, Garbin models, etc.
Unfortunately this app is no longer avialable in app stores. If you know another running app which could take its place, Please do not hesitate to tell us via comments section.. we would really appreciate that !
8. Couch to 5K ®
Awarded as the best Wellness and Fitness app in 2012, the principle on which this app is based is clear and concise: Run from 20 to 30 minutes 3 times a week for 9 weeks and you will be ready to run your first 5k. A very attractive option for those who want to start running.
It is one of the best running apps ’cause:
- You will have the opportunity to have training plans prepared by professionals thanks to the participation of trainers of the Active.com website. You can choose from a total of 4 coaches.
- Have access to voice notes while training, collect all career data, upload your progress on Facebook or ask any questions you have in the Active running community.
- The certainty that the method they propose works. This has been stated by magazines such as Runners World or the team of experts from Calorie Lab.
Download Couch to 5k for Android
Download Couch to 5k for iOS (iPhone / iPad).
You may wanna take a look at,
Yes, as strange as it seems this inclusion in this list, Spotify is one of the best running apps that can not be missed. That is because it is the most famous music streaming service of the moment. It incorporates an option for those runners who always need to be accompanied by their favorite artists: the Spotify Running.
It one of the best running apps because:
- Access an extensive library with thousands of artists, songs and albums that will allow you to create all your own playlists to go running.
- The Spotify Running mode adapts the music to the rhythm of the race you have in each moment. There are two lists: Running Originals (the music goes faster when you run to the top and slows down in the moments of greater pauses) and Running Playlists (they change the songs and the genres).
- The great advantage of Spotify over other streaming music apps is that it can be synchronized with most of the previous running apps, so you can select your music without leaving the app you are using. You will have this feature in Nike + Run, Runtastic, Strava, RunKeeper and Endomondo.
Download Spotify for Android.
Download Spotify for iOS (iPhone / iPad)
Wrapping it up
Finally, we must remind ourselves that all these apps for running serve for a real control over the training. The real competition is with ourselves, measuring and keeping up the performance of each day practices.
In addition to this, knowing runners from all over the world and sharing experience will always be helpful, it will allow us to distinguish the best, and will show us that the sport is extremely extensive and necessary.
Now your turn, With what running app you stay? Can you tell me about any other app that is not included in this list and that is very useful? Give me your opinion and share it with the rest of Technolotal readers, so that all of us, can find the best applications for running.