There is no doubt that updates are necessary in any kind of software and apps are no exception. Although we do not always know exactly what new features are added, improvements in stability, security, speed ect.
The vast majority of developers prefer that the updates reach the end users as soon as possible, even automatically. But there are times when we prefer that an application does not get updated automatically: simply because the update process can be annoying.
In addition, many of us like the old version of an app and do not want it to be completely changed, or worse, it can no longer be compatible with our system. Today we will discover how to prevent this apps-auto update for Android and iOS apps.
How to block apps auto updates on iOS
The operating system of Apple devices, iOS, introduced automatic updates about four years ago. It was a grateful change because it was no longer necessary to download and install the updates one by one: they could be applied automatically as they arrived.
- Now, if we want to stop apps auto-update on our iPhone or iPad without first checking the changes and allowing them, we must go to the classic configuration panel called ‘Settings‘.
- Once there, slide the screen up to find the iTunes Store and App Store option and touch it to see the configuration options of the Apple app store.
- Inside you will see the section ‘Updates‘. All you have to do is make sure that this service is deactivated for the ‘Updates‘ section.
Note: You can decide if the ‘Auto update‘ can use or not your mobile data. If you leave the option unchecked, it will only download the updates when the phone is connected to a Wi-Fi network.
When you have done it, any app update will have to be done manually. To do this, you must go to the app store, then go to ‘Updates‘, there you’ll have two options: ‘Update all‘ or search the apps you wanna update one by one and click on the ‘Update‘ button to download and install your updates.
How to block automatic updates on Android
Automatic Android updates came much earlier, in 2011, when the Google Play store became known as the Android Market.
To turn off automatic updates on Android operating systems we should start in the app store, precisely.
- Open Google Play and go to its side menu, then find the option ‘Settings‘ at the bottom.
- Then you’ll see the option ‘automatically Update applications‘ and, if you click it, you will see that you have three different options. Select the one that suits you best between ‘Do not auto-update apps‘, to block automatic updates; or decide to do it ‘Anytime‘ or ‘Only via WiFi‘.
No more treacherous app updates
With these tricks we will stop the annoing apps auto-update and avoid being left without the ablilitiy to use an application when we need it the most and, with it, we can take control of exactly what we want to update and when to do it.
You may wanna know How to fix pending download on Google Play.